Places of Worship in Frome

 

Taken from the Somerset County Guide for 1840 by Robert Dainton, with additions by David Smart from The Buildings of Frome.

 

Place of worship

Date built/rebuilt

Date closed

St. John the Baptist

688, 1160, 1280, 1500, 1860

 

Friends' Meeting House

1669, 1783

1933

Sheppard's Barton Baptist Chapel

1688, 1707, 1849

 

Rook Lane Independent Chapel

1707

1968

Badcox Lane Baptist Chapel

1711, 1763, 1813

1962

East Woodlands Church

1712

 

Zion Independent Church, Whittox Lane (previously Moravian

1773, 1810, 1888

 

Wesleyan Chapel

1779, 1812, 1871

 

Christ Church (Anglican)

1818, 1849, 1899, 1904, 1960

 

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sun Street

1834, 1880, 1910

1982

Nash's Street Baptist Chapel

1835

C20

Holy Trinity Church (Anglican)

1838

 

Rechabites' Chapel, Milk Street

1840

1843

United Methodist Free Church

1851

 

Irvingites' Roman Catholic Church, West End

1853

1928

Bethel Chapel, The Butts

1858

1950s

Lock's Lane Baptist Chapel

1860

1920

St Mary, Innox Hill (Anglican)

1863

 

Temporary Catholic Church, Park Road

1928

1967

St Catherine's Roman Catholic Church, Park Road

1967

 

 

The three pre-1840 Anglican churches have graveyards.

The Dissenters' Burial ground at Wayland's Close was opened in 1745.

The Friends (Quakers) have their own burial ground.