The SHEPPARDs and C18 Frome

 

The following names appear in Derek J. Gill's "The Sheppards and Eighteenth Century Frome":

 

Allen, Allwood, Ames, Anthony, Arnell, Ashton, Baber, Badder, Baily, Ball, Banger, Banks, Batt, Bayly, Baynton, Bell, Biggs, Brookes, Brown, Bull, Bunn, Buscombe, Butcher, Butler, Cadbury, Cain, Cam , Carpenter, Case, Chambers, Champneys, Chapman, Chilcott, Clark, Clarke, Cockey, Collens, Combs, Cooke, Coombs, Cornwall, Cure, Daniel, David, Deacon, Deane, Dew, Dicks, Dirdo, Elliott, Fisher, Foot , Fox, Frestone, Fricker, Fryer, Gale, George, Gibbons, Giles, Golledge, Green, Gregory, Griffith, Haines, Halliday, Harmer, Harris, Hart, Harvey, Hawkes, Hellier, Helps, Hendy, Hepburn, Hill, Hine, Hiskett, Hoddinott, Holdway, Holton, Horwood, Houlton, Houston, Hulbert, Humphrey, Humphries, Hurd, Imber , Jay, Jelly, Jesser, Johns, Kingman, Lacey, Lacy, Lawrence, Lester, Leversedge, Maynard, Messiter, Miles, Millard, Miller, Minty, Moore, Morgan, Mortimer, Nail, Napper, Nation, Neat, Newman, Newport, Noble, Oburn, Padfield, Papps, Parsons, Pinchent, Pobjoy, Poolman, Pope, Porch, Poulton, Read , Reddish, Reeves, Richards, Robbins, Roberts, Rogers, Rossiter, Rotton, Rowland, Rundell, Seaman , Sedgefield, Selvey, Sewell, Sharpe, Sheppard, Shingles, Shore, Silcock, Silcox, Sims, Singer, Sinkins, Smith, Somers, Spencer, Stile, Sturde, Styles, Tanner, Teague, Thorne, Thynne, Timbury , Titford, Tomkins, Traske, Treasure, Tuck, Veltom, Wason, Watts, Wayland, West, Wheeler, Whereat, Whitchurch, White , Whiting, Whittock, Wickham, Willis, Willmott, Willsonn, Wilton, Worsley , Wright, Wyndham, Yerbury, Young.

 

Name

Description

Birth-Death

Parents

Married

Spouse

Notes

ALLEN, Ann

 

bef 1750-

John ALLEN & Anne SHEPPARD

 

 

Aft 1750: inherited share in grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD's plate 'purchased of John ALLEN's assignees' and malting implements with her two sisters

ALLEN, Henry

Dyer

bef 1682-aft 1711

 

 

 

Aft 1712: bought land off Badcox Lane (present Catherine St) from Mary HELLIER and granted it to John SHARPE, pastor of Badcox Lane congregation. River at Willow Vale outside his house previously used for baptisms.

ALLEN, Hester

 

bef 1750-

John ALLEN & Anne SHEPPARD

 

 

Aft 1750: inherited share in grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD's plate 'purchased of John ALLEN's assignees' and malting implements with her two sisters

ALLEN, Joan

 

bef 1750-

John ALLEN & Anne SHEPPARD

 

 

Aft 1750: inherited share in grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD's plate 'purchased of John ALLEN's assignees' and malting implements with her two sisters

ALLEN, John

Maltster

bef 1676-aft 1712

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (6 9s). 1713: sold land on which two C16 cottages stood and Badcox Lane Church to Revd John SHARPE, pastor of the congregation

ALLEN, John

Maltster?

abt 1705-

 

 

Anne SHEPPARD

ALLEN, John Fulk

Chemist

-1871

 

 

 

Aft 1863: bought Catherine Hill House from exrs of Elizabeth GALE and Mary PADFIELD; occupied by Revd Daniel ANTHONY. 1887: widow Fanny sold Catherine Hill House to John BELL.

ALLEN, William

 

bef 1750-

John ALLEN & Anne SHEPPARD

 

 

Aft 1750: inherited silver tankard and share in malting implements from grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD

ALLWOOD, William

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of 9 Catherine St

AMES, Mary

Spinster

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present no) 21 High St

ANTHONY, Revd Daniel

Minister

bef 1831-aft 1863

 

 

 

Pastor of Zion Church 1851-1864. Occupied Catherine Hill House after exrs of Elizabeth GALE and Mary PADFIELD sold it to John Fulk ALLEN in 1863.

ARNELL, John

Baker

bef 1696-aft 1715

 

 

 

Aft 1716: leased 2 & 3 South Parade, built by Thomas LACEY, from John SHEPPARD on lives of himself, his wife Jane and their daughter Mary.

ARNELL, Mary

 

bef 1717

John ARNELL & Jane

 

 

Aft 1716: 'life' on lease of 2 & 3 South Parade.

ASHTON, John

 

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Aft 1706: occupied one of 5 houses on the part of Back Ground that became South Parade) when John SHEPPARD granted a plot for the Baptist church.

BABER, Robert

Shearman

bef 1760-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 4 other male and 1 female.

BADDER, Thomas

 

bef 1783-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present no) 14 Wine St in 1803; Joseph STILE leaseholder for it in 1800.

BAILY, John

Tanner

bef 1735-aft 1769

 

 

 

Aft 1755-1770: occupier of Sun Inn, 6 Catherine St.

BAILY, Zachary Sr

 

bef 1782-aft 1811

 

 

 

Aft 1812: sold Sun Inn to Badcox Lane Baptist Church.

BALL, William

Yeoman of Oldford

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (4 10s).

BANGER, Mary

 

-aft 1762

 

aft 1762

John SHEPPARD

BANKS, George

 

bef 1720-aft 1739

 

 

 

Aft 1740: occupant of 24/25 Wine St

BATT, Paul

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of 7 Catherine St, formerly held by Benjamin TANNER

BAYLY, William

 

bef 1528-aft 1547

 

 

 

Aft 1548: tenant of part of the property of the Free Chapel of St Katherine

BAYLY, William

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

BAYNTON, William

Grocer

bef 1785-1842

 

 

 

Aft 1805: bought Catherine Hill House from Thomas NAPPER, exr of George WHITCHURCH's will. 1815: bought 5 Wine St from William H. SHEPPARD. Died 23 May 1842, leaving his property to Elizabeth GALE and Mary PADFIELD.

BELL, John

Photographer

bef 1857-aft 1886

 

 

 

Aft 1887: bought Catherine Hill House from Fanny ALLEN. BELL and Son, photographers, still there in 1931.

BIGGS, James

Carpenter

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present no) 22 High St.

BROOKES, James

Sergemaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (7 10s).

BROWN, Joseph

Baker

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of Sun Inn, 6 Catherine St, occupied by John BAILY.

BULL, Richard Jr

Clothier

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (75).

BULL, Richard Sr

Mercer

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (15).

BUNN, Susan

sister of Thomas BUNN

bef 1763-aft 1782

 

 

 

Aft 1783: mentions opening of new Friends' Meeting House in diary.

BUSCOMBE, Richard

 

bef 1707-

 

 

 

Aft 1727: leased house in Catherine St (later site of Temperance Hall); leased to Joseph WASON and John GEORGE in 1755.

BUTCHER, Robert

Clothier

bef 1802-aft 1821

 

 

 

Aft 1822: cottages built at the rear of 7 Catherine St conveyed to him by John IMBER's surviving trustee.

BUTLER, William

Gent

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 2 females.

CADBURY, Andrew

 

bef 1528-aft 1547

 

 

 

Aft 1548: tenant of part of the property of the Free Chapel of St Katherine

CAIN, Jo.

Scribler

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying (6 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 3 females

CAM, Mr

?of Bristol

bef 1725-aft 1754

 

 

 

Abt 1755: business associate of William SHEPPARD whose son Walter stayed at his house

CARPENTER, Robert

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present no) 19 High St, formerly leased by Mary MORGAN and Henry SHEPPARD

CASE, John

Weaver

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 3 other males and 3 females

CHAMBERS, William

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present no) 18 High St, formerly leased by Thomas LESTER and John SEDGEFIELD

CHAMPNEYS

 

bef 1735-aft 1759

 

 

 

Aft 1760: leased property on Catherine Hill to Eleanor SHEPPARD on lives of herself, her son William and her brother-in-law John SHEPPARD

CHAMPNEYS, John

 

bef 1617-aft 1641

 

 

 

Aft 1642: leased (13) Catherine Hill (site of Sheppards Barton) and adjoining acre of meadow, 'Elmhayes' (later Rack Close: site of South Parade) to John SHEPPARD

CHAMPNEYS, John

of Orchardleigh

bef 1585-aft 1604

 

 

 

Aft 1605: shown as owner of Rack Close (Elmhayes) in survey of West Woodlands

CHAPMAN, C.

Architect

bef 1848-

 

 

 

Aft 1873: Temperance Hall erected which he designed

CHILCOTT, Mr

 

bef 1827-aft 1851

 

 

 

Aft 1852: erected a new building to the south of the preaching room near the lower corner of Wine St, the United Free Methodist Church. Used until 1910 when the Portway Methodist Church was completed and the old building sold to the trustees of the Temperance Hall.

CLARK, John

Carpenter

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 2 other males and 2 females

CLARKE, Revd Frederick

Minister

bef 1856-aft 1897

 

 

 

Aft 1876-1898: Minister of Zion Congregational Church. 1882-1887: lived at Wine St House

COCKEY

 

bef 1757-aft 1776

 

 

 

Aft 1777: lessee of (present nos) 15/16 High St

COCKEY

 

bef 1819-aft 1861

 

 

 

Aft 1844, 1862: contractor of gas installation at South Parade House in 1844 and 1862

COCKEY, Dr Edmund

 

Aft 1817-1907

 

 

 

Aft 1845-1865: lived at 4 South Parade before he moved to Argyll House in Gentle St, later to Stoke House and in 1879 to West Lodge

COCKEY, Lewis

 

bef 1757-aft 1776

 

 

 

Aft 1777: lessee of (present no) 5/6 High St, formerly leased by John LACY and James REDDISH

COCKEY, William

 

bef 1735-aft 1776

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present no) 23 High St. 1755, 1777: lessee of (present no) 9 High St, formerly leased by Chas PINCHENT

COLLENS, John

Sr

bef 1695-aft 1719

 

 

 

Aft 1720: trustee for John SHEPPARD until majority of his son William

COMBS, John

Scribler

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying (7 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 1 other male and 5 females; Thomas TEAGUE sharing(?)

COOKE, John

 

-aft 1764

 

 

 

Aft 1764: occupant of 8/9 Wine St

COOMBS, Alfred

 

aft 1828-1910

 

 

 

Aft 1900-1910: lived at Wine St House. Died 23 Sep 1910 aged 82

COOMBS, Miss

Schoolmistress

bef 1870-aft 1936

 

 

 

Aft 1890-1937: ran 'Selwood School' at Wine St House with her sister 1890-1900 and 1916-1937, using 7 South Parade then South Hill House in Christchurch St West

CORK & ORRERY, Earl of

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: leased adjacent properties on Catherine Hill to John HALLIDAY and Cuthbert WILLMOTT and a shop to John PARSONS

CORNWALL, Thomas

Clothier

bef 1682-aft 1730

 

 

 

Aft 1707: bought orchard of the house which is now the Sun Inn on which High St was developed from John & Mary HELLIER. 1731: sold messuage (present Sun Inn) with orchard adjoining freehold in Back Ground to William SHEPPARD

CURE, Sarah

Widow

bef 1780-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 5 Wine St; rated for it in 1803

DANIEL, Charles

 

bef 1726-aft 1745

 

 

 

Aft 1746: rated for (present no) 10 High St

DANIEL, John

Glazier

bef 1726-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1751: leased 8 & 9 Wine St (then one house) from William SHEPPARD; previously leased to Richard YERBURY. 1762, 1764: tenant in Back Ground (8/9 Wine St), later occupied by John COOKE. 1800: leaseholder of (present nos) 8/9 Wine St; Jacob POPE rated for it in 1803

DANIEL, Joshua

Carpenter

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present nos) 11/14 High St (two houses)

DAVID, Revd Job

Minister

bef 1753-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1773-1803: Pastor at Sheppards Barton. Said that baptists had met at John SHEPPARD's house before Sheppards Barton Church was built

DEACON, James

 

bef 1820-aft 1839

 

 

 

Aft 1840: built 9-11 Sheppards Barton on site of former stable after buying land from heirs of Gilbert ROTTON after his death in America; also present No 1

DEACON, Uriah

 

bef 1820-aft 1839

 

 

 

Aft 1840: occupier of 13(?) Sheppards Barton

DEANE, Edward

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: co-lessee with John POPE of (present no) 17 High St, formerly leased by Thomas TITFORD and John SHEPPARD

DEW, William

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present no) 8 High St, formerly leased by John LACY and William GOLLEDGE

DICKS

 

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: with MINTY, occupant of Boarding School (4 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 1 other male and 11 females

DIRDO, Elizabeth

 

bef 1706-aft 1720

Henry DIRDO

aft 1721

George WHITCHURCH

Aft 1721: marriage to George WHITCHURCH brought him property in Dorset; settlement mentioned in the deeds of Catherine Hill House

DIRDO, Henry

of Milton, Gillingham DOR

bef 1691-

 

 

 

ELLIOTT, George

Sawyer

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 1 other male and 2 females

FISHER, Miss

 

bef 1755-aft 1774

 

 

 

Aft 1775: rated for (present no) 20 High St

FOOT, Henry

of Barwick St John WIL

bef 1748-aft 1769

 

 

 

Aft 1768: leased 8 Catherine St after the death of Mrs GOULD. 1770: rated for 8 Catherine St, late GOULD or REEVES

FOX, James

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

FRESTONE, Thomas

 

bef 1528-aft 1547

 

 

 

Aft 1548: tenant of part of the property of the Free Chapel of St Katherine

FRICKER

 

bef 1780-

 

 

 

Bef 1800: occupant of a building on ground that had been a timber yard mentioned in 1800 grant by William SHEPPARD to his son George

FRICKER, John

 

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: owned a house in High St occupied by Hester HILL at time of census with 2 males and 1 other female

FRYER, Richard

Scribler

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 female

GALE, Elizabeth

 

bef 1842-1858

 

 

 

Aft 1842: property of William BAYNTON left her and Mary PADFIELD. 1863: Property sold to John Fulk ALLEN.

GEORGE, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee with Joseph WASON of house in Catherine St, later site of Temperance Hall, formerly leased to Richard BUSCOMBE

GEORGE, Stephen

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

GEORGE, William

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present no) 10 High St

GIBBONS, Thomas

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 15 Wine St in 1800; NOBLE rated for it in 1803

GILES, George

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder with Richard HOLTON of (present no) 17 Wine St; Widow JESSER and G. GILES rated for it in 1803

GILES, William

 

bef 1810-aft 1829

 

 

 

Abt 1830: occupied Gilbert ROTTON's house after Thomas T. HAWKES

GOLLEDGE, William

Victualler

bef 1735-aft 1776

 

 

 

Aft 1755, 1777: lessee of (present no) 8 High St, formerly leased by John LACY. 1785: occupier of Sun Inn

GREEN, Thomas

 

bef 1825-1882

 

aft 1800

Jane SINKINS

Aft 1800: from Nottingham; married Jane SINKINS jr, his cousin. 1882: inherited 13-15 Sheppards Barton: at his death occupied by HAINES, ROBERTS and VELTOM. Mentions JOHNSes in his diary in 1845.

GREGORY, Jeremy

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: occupied 2 South Parade

GRIFFITH, Revd William

former Methodist minister at Frome

bef 1829-aft 1848

 

 

 

Aft 1849: expelled by Methodist Conference in 1849 with two other ministers

HAINES

 

bef 1862-aft 1881

 

 

 

Aft 1882: occupier of 13(?) Sheppards Barton

HALLIDAY, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: leased property from Lord CORK on Catherine Hill adjacent to one leased by Cuthbert WILLMOTT

HARMER, Elizabeth

 

-aft 1755

 

aft 1756

Edward SHEPPARD

HARRIS, John

Clothier

bef 1686-aft 1719

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3). 1720: trustee for John SHEPPARD until majority of his son William

HARRIS, John

Dyer

bef 1707-aft 1734

 

 

 

Aft 1727: rated for 2 & 3 South Parade. 1735: leased 2 & 3 South Parade from William SHEPPARD with Widow DEWARS

HARRIS, Paul

Clothier

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3)

HART, William

Lath Maker

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by Harry SHEPPARD at time of census with 3 females

HARVEY, Ann

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present no) 9 High St, formerly leased by Chas PINCHENT and William COCKEY

HARVEY, William

Shearman

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 other male and 4 females

HAWKES, Thomas Tyrwhitt

 

bef 1810-aft 1829

 

 

 

Abt 1830: occupied Gilbert ROTTON's house after Mrs JESSER

HELLIER, John

 

aft 1680-

 

bef 1700

Mary WHITCHURCH

Bef 1700: married Mary WHITCHURCH. Abt 1700: sold land on which two C16 cottages stood and Badcox Lane Church to John ALLEN. 1701: mortgaged the site on which Badcox Lane Church was later built for 200. 1707: sold orchard of the house which is now the Sun Inn on which High St was developed to Thomas CORNWALL, Clothier

HELPS, James

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 20 Wine St; A. HOUSTON rated for it in 1803

HENDY, Revd William

Baptist Minister

bef 1688-aft 1719

 

 

 

Aft 1708: First Pastor of Sheppards Barton. 1720: left 20 by John SHEPPARD

HEPBURN, Miss

 

bef 1865-aft 1884

 

 

 

Abt 1885: used 5 South Parade as a school in the 1880s

HILL, Hester

Widow

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by John FRICKER at time of census with 2 males and 1 other female

HINE, Jane

 

Abt 1820-1864

Thomas HINE

 

James SINKINS

Abt 1820: born in Beaminster DOR; married James SINKINS and ran the draper's business founded by his father after her husband died; moved from Cheap St to South Parade. 1837: bought 7 South Parade together with site in Rook Lane and plot opposite South Parade House from Gilbert ROTTON; also bought No 6. 1840: bought 13-15 Sheppards Barton from heirs of Gilbert ROTTON. Died 1864; left South Parade House to her daughter Jane

HISKETT, John

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 26/27 Wine St

HISKETT, Samuel

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 24/25 Wine St

HODDINOTT, Simon

 

bef 1820-aft 1739

 

 

 

Aft 1840: bought 14 houses in Sheppards Barton from the heirs of Gilbert ROTTON

HOLDWAY, Edward

Cardmaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (1 10s)

HOLTON, Richard

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder with George GILES of (present no) 17 Wine St. Widow JESSER and G. GILES rated for it in 1803

HORWOOD, Edwin

Stained Glass Manuf'er

-aft 1875

 

 

 

Aft 1875: lived at 4 South Parade

HOULTON

 

bef 1695-

 

bef 1710

Edward PARSONS

HOULTON, Charles

Grocer

bef 1870-aft 1889

 

 

 

Abt 1890: kept grocer's shop in 16 Catherine Hill

HOUSTON, A.

 

aft 1783-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present nos) 10 Wine St (Widow THORNE leaseholder) and 20 Wine St (leaseholder James HELPS in 1800)

HULBERT, Anne

 

-aft 1750

 

aft 1750

William SHEPPARD

HUMPHREY, Philippa

 

bef 1690-1751

 

Aft 1705

John SHEPPARD

HUMPHRIES

c/o William

bef 1806-aft 1825

 

 

 

Aft 1826: inherited 2-5 South Parade on father's death

HUMPHRIES, Mary Caroline

 

bef 1810-aft 1844

Thomas HUMPHRIES

 

John B. JOHNS

Aft 1830: inherited 6 South Parade after father Thomas's death; living there in 1845, but not 1850

HUMPHRIES, Mary Caroline

 

bef 1786-1818

Samuel HUMPHRIES

abt 1801

Gilbert ROTTON

Abt 1801: married Gilbert ROTTON; died bearing their 13th child in 1818.

HUMPHRIES, Michael

Clothier

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (9)

HUMPHRIES, Samuel

Cardmaker

bef 1780-1826

 

 

 

Aft 1800: acquired site of 13-15 Sheppards Barton with the adjoining stable, 13-20 Wine St and 2-4 South Parade from William SHEPPARD, acquired 5-7 South Parade from Revd William TOMKINS ; occupied 4 South Parade, including workshops and stable. Abt 1800: built carding factory, later Rawlings', on the corner of South Parade and Christchurch St; assigned 5-7 South Parade to Gilbert ROTTON, his son-in-law, whose heirs later sold 14 houses in Sheppards Barton to Simon HODDINOTT and land to James DEACON. Aft 1800: occupied 6 South Parade with his son Thomas; built factory on the other side of the road which burnt down in 1821. 1805: had acquired 14(?) houses in Sheppards Barton. Abt 1820: living in South Parade; gave Joseph SHEPPARD mortgage on his house. 1900: descendants sold 2-5 South Parade to Samuel RAWLINGS & Son Ltd

HUMPHRIES, Thomas

 

bef 1790-1830

Samuel HUMPHRIES

 

 

Aft 1800: lived at 6 South Parade with his father, then until his own death in St Agnes CON: inherited by his eldest daughter Mary Caroline. Abt 1810: allocated 7/8 South Parade in family settlement after father Samuel's death. 1837: conveyed 7/8 South Parade to John SPENCER, Carpenter

HUMPHRIES, Thomas

Scribler

bef 1757-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1777: lessee of (present no) 20 High St, formerly leased by John TREASURE. 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by himself at time of census with 3 females.

HUMPHRIES, William

Cardmaker

bef 1780-aft 1800

Samuel HUMPHRIES

 

 

Aft 1800: occupied 4 South Parade; traded as Samuel HUMPHRIES and Son

HURD, Dr

 

bef 1854-1879

 

 

 

Aft 1879: lived at until West Lodge his death in 1879

IMBER, John

 

bef 1757-aft 1776

 

 

 

Aft 1777: conveyed freehold of 7 Catherine St by John SHEPPARD

JAY, Mr

Minister

Aft 1769-

 

 

 

Aft 1850: former minister of Sheppards Barton; described in Thomas GREEN's diary as preaching at opening of new chapel at age of 81

JELLY, John

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

JESSER

 

bef 1655-bef 1681

 

bef 1675

Hannah RUNDELL

JESSER, baby

 

bef 1679-

JESSER & Hannah RUNDELL

 

 

JESSER, baby

 

bef 1680-

JESSER & Hannah RUNDELL

 

 

JESSER, baby

 

bef 1681-

JESSER & Hannah RUNDELL

 

 

JOHNS, John Bradford

of St Cubert CON

bef 1810-aft 1844

 

bef 1830

Mary C. HUMPHRIES

Aft 1830: wife Mary Caroline inherited 6 South Parade after her father Thomas's death; living there in 1845, but not 1850

KINGMAN, William

 

~1710-

 

 

Sarah SHEPPARD

LACEY, John

 

bef 1721-

 

 

 

Aft 1746: lately erected house on the east of 8 Catherine St

LACEY, John

 

bef 1750-aft 1769

 

 

 

Aft 1770: rated for 9 Catherine St

LACEY, Thomas

 

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: built two cottages, 2 & 3 South Parade

LACEY, Thomas

Carpenter

bef 1715-aft 1734

 

 

 

Abt 1735: leased two plots (21-23) in Wine St from William SHEPPARD

LACEY, Timothy

 

-aft 1747

 

aft 1747

Eleanor SHEPPARD

LACEY, Timothy

Mr

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present no) 26/27 High St, formerly leased by Joseph WHITING, Mason

LACY, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: former lessee of (present nos) 5/6 and 8 High St

LAWRENCE, Thomas

Dissenting Teacher

bef 1747-aft 1788

 

 

 

Aft 1767-1789: Pastor of Rook Lane Church. 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 2 females

LESTER, Thomas

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: had built a house on a plot adjoining the plot containing two tenements lately built by Thomas TITFORD (17 High St)

LEVERSEDGE

Lord of the Manor of Frome

bef 1585-aft 1604

 

 

 

Aft 1605: owned land SW of Back Ground occupied by Mr WHITMORE

MAYNARD, Thomas

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

MESSITER, Thomas

Shearman

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 1 other male and 2 females

MILES, Joseph

Shearman

bef 1765-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 1 other male and 2 females. 1814: co-lessee of (present nos) 11/14 High St (two houses)

MILLARD, Thomas

 

bef 1815-aft 1834

 

 

 

Aft 1835: conveyed ground on which No 1 Wine St was built (part of the garden of 16 Christchurch St, Chester House) by Revd Daniel S. WAYLAND

MILLER, Mary

 

bef 1783-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present no) 19 Wine St; leaseholder Richard OBURN in 1800

MINTY

 

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: with DICKS, occupant of Boarding School (4 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 1 other male and 11 females

MOORE, Henry

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

MORGAN, Mary

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present no) 19 High St

MORTIMER

 

-aft 1662

 

aft 1662

Hester SHEPPARD

MORTIMER, Edward

Cardboardmaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (30)

MORTIMER, George

Butcher

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3 4s 6d)

MORTIMER, Samuel

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

MORTIMER, Samuel

Clothier

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (37 10s)

MORTIMER, Samuel Jun

Cardmaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3)

MORTIMER, Samuel Sen

Cardmaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3)

NAIL, Moses

 

bef 1783-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present nos) 13 Wine St; Ann GODDARD leaseholder in 1800

NAPPER, Thomas

 

bef 1785-aft 1804

 

 

 

Aft 1805: exr of George WHITCHURCH's will; sold Catherine Hill House to William BAYNTON, grocer

NATION, Francis

 

bef 1735-aft 1750

 

 

 

Aft 1755: former lessee of (present nos) 15/16 High St

NEAT, Michael

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: occupied 7 South Parade (then two houses)

NEWMAN, Walter

 

bef 1528-aft 1547

 

 

 

Aft 1548: tenant of part of the property of the Free Chapel of St Katherine

NEWPORT

Gent

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 2 females

NEWPORT, Arthur

 

bef 1910-aft 1929

 

 

 

Abt 1930: window fragments from St Catherine's Chapel incorporated in his garage

NEWPORT, Thomas

Cardboardmaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3)

NOBLE

 

bef 1783-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present no) 15 Wine St; Thomas GIBBONS leaseholder in 1800

OBURN, Richard

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 19 Wine St; Mary MILLER rated for it in 1803

PADFIELD, Mary

 

bef 1822-1860

 

 

 

Aft 1842: property of William BAYNTON left her and Elizabeth GALE. 1863: Property sold to John Fulk ALLEN.

PAPPS

 

bef 1819-aft 1843

 

 

 

Aft 1844: contractor of gas installation at South Parade House

PARSONS, Edward

Grocer

bef 1695-

 

bef 1710

HOULTON

PARSONS, Eleanor

 

~1710-1792

Edward PARSONS & HOULTON

Aft 1731

William SHEPPARD

Aft 1781: tenant of property on Catherine Hill by 1760 lease on lives of herself, her son William and her brother-in-law John SHEPPARD

PARSONS, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: leased shop on Catherine Hill from Lord CORK

PARSONS, Sophie

 

bef 1732-

Edward PARSONS & Unknown HOULTON

bef 1747

John SHEPPARD

PINCHENT, Chas

 

bef 1735-aft 1763

 

 

 

Aft 1755: former lessee of (present no) 9 High St. 1762: tenant in Back Ground (6 Wine St). 1764: built house at (present no) 6 High St leased by William SHEPPARD to his brother John

POBJOY, Jacob

Builder

bef 1731-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1751: occupied 7 Wine St. 1762: tenant in Back Ground (7 Wine St)

POBJOY, John

Cardboardmaker

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (4 10s)

POOLMAN, William

 

bef 1780-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 18 Wine St; rated for it in 1803

POPE, Jacob

 

bef 1783-aft 1822

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present nos) 8/9 Wine St; John DANIEL leaseholder in 1800. 1823: occupier of 2 Wine St; designed and built Rook Lane Chapel; may have been responsible for Sheppards Barton Chapel

POPE, John

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: co-lessee with Edward DEANE of (present no) 17 High St, formerly leased by Thomas TITFORD and John SHEPPARD

POPE, John

Mason

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 other male and 3 females

PORCH, George

 

bef 1820-

 

 

 

Bef 1840: occupied Wine St House after the death of Joseph SHEPPARD

POULTON, John

Carpenter

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 4 females

READ, Hannah

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: late occupant of 7 South Parade (then two houses)

READ, John

 

bef 1780-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 6 Wine St; rated for it in 1803

REDDISH, James

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present nos) 1/2, 5/6 and 15/16 High St

REEVES, William

 

bef 1717-aft 1736

 

 

 

Aft 1737: leased plot with 17ft frontal (8 Catherine St) from William SHEPPARD

RICHARDS, Samuel

 

bef 1750-

 

 

 

Bef 1770: provided his house in Christchurch St West for Methodist use

ROBBINS, Benjamin

 

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Aft 1706: occupied one of 5 houses on the part of Back Ground that became South Parade) when John SHEPPARD granted a plot for the Baptist church

ROBBINS, Walter

 

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Aft 1706: occupied one of 5 houses on the part of Back Ground that became South Parade) when John SHEPPARD granted a plot for the Baptist church

ROBERTS

 

bef 1862-aft 1881

 

 

 

Aft 1882: occupier of 14(?) Sheppards Barton

ROBERTS, Robert

 

bef 1820-aft 1839

 

 

 

Aft 1840: occupier of 14(?) Sheppards Barton

ROGERS, Andrew

 

bef 1686-aft 1719

 

 

 

Aft 1706: occupied one of 5 houses on the part of Back Ground that became South Parade) when John SHEPPARD granted a plot for the Baptist church. 1720: trustee for John SHEPPARD until majority of his son William

ROSSITER, Thomas

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present nos) 15/16 High St, formerly leased by Francis NATION, James REDDISH and ?? COCKEY

ROTTON, Gilbert

Solicitor

bef 1777-1836

 

abt 1801

Mary C. HUMPRHIES

Aft 1797: admitted to the Roll of solicitors in Frome. Abt 1801: father-in-law Samuel HUMPRHIES assigned him 5-7 South Parade as part of the marriage settlement; had 13 children. 1831: mortgaged his house to Ann SMITH; occupied by Mrs JESSER, Thomas T. HAWKES and William GILES in turn. Bef 1840: enlarged 7 South Parade; probably built 13-15 Sheppards Barton at the same time. Got into debt by backing friends. 1828: left Frome for NY. 1836: died at Ovid NY. 1840: heirs sold 14 houses in Sheppards Barton to Simon HODDINOTT after his death in America and land to James DEACON.

ROWLAND, Revd Alfred

Minister of Zion Church

bef 1855-aft 1874

 

 

 

Aft 1875: Minister of Zion Church 1865-75; lived at 4 South Parade

RUNDELL, Hannah

 

-1686

William RUNDELL & UNKNOWN

aft 1679

Edward SHEPPARD

RUNDELL, Hester

 

-1680

 

Aft 1677

Edward SHEPPARD

RUNDELL, William

 

bef 1667-

 

bef 1687

UNKNOWN

SEAMAN, Lionel

Lord of the Manor of Frome

bef 1715-aft 1734

 

 

 

Abt 1735: sold land in Dyer's Close and property in Winterbourne Monkton WIL to William SHEPPARD . 1755: owned orchard SW of Back Ground 'late Mr BULL'

SEDGEFIELD, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1769

 

 

Betty SHEPPARD

Aft 1755: occupied 6 South Parade. 1755, 1770: co-lessee of (present nos) 24/25 High St with John SHEPPARD and lessee of 18 High St, formerly leased by Thomas LESTER

SELVEY, William

 

bef 1528-aft 1547

 

 

 

Aft 1548: tenant of part of the property of the Free Chapel of St Katherine

SEWELL, Lucy

 

bef 1859-aft 1884

 

 

 

Aft 1879-1885: used Friends' Meeting House 3 nights a week for a girls' school and mothers' meeting

SHARPE, Revd John

Pastor of Badcox Lane congregation

bef 1692-aft 1711

 

 

 

Aft 1712: granted land off Badcox Lane (present Catherine St) by Henry ALLEN on which the church had been built in 1711

SHEPPARD

 

 

 

 

 

Aft 1762: family settlement lists 18 leaseholders in 'Back Ground', matching the known properties. Jun 1777: settlement lists leaseholders of High St. Jun 1814: family settlement lists leaseholders of High St

SHEPPARD, Anne

 

Aft 1710-

John SHEPPARD & Philippa HUMPHREY

 

John ALLEN

SHEPPARD, Anne

 

Aft 1733-

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

 

 

SHEPPARD, Anne

 

Aft 1737-aft 1765

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

Aft 1766

Revd William TOMKINS

Aft 1750: inherited looking-glass from grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD. 1759: inherited 5 - 7 South Parade from father.

SHEPPARD, baby

 

aft 1759-

Henry SHEPPARD & Isabella WILLSONN

 

 

SHEPPARD, baby

 

aft 1759-

Henry SHEPPARD & Isabella WILLSONN

 

 

SHEPPARD, baby

 

aft 1759-

Henry SHEPPARD & Isabella WILLSONN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Benjamin

 

Aft 1656-1705

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

 

Sarah UNKNOWN

Aft 1686: joint executor and trustee of brother Edward's will. 1688: house of John and Benjamin SHEPPARD licensed for worship

SHEPPARD, Betty

 

Aft 1710-aft 1749

John SHEPPARD & Philippa HUMPHREY

 

John SEDGEFIELD

Aft 1750: inherited household linen, silver tankard and half-pint pot from mother, Philippa SHEPPARD

SHEPPARD, Edward

 

bef 1666-1692

Benjamin SHEPPARD & Sarah UNKNOWN

 

 

Aft 1686: left 300 by father Edward to be paid when he was 21, with 15 pa meanwhile

SHEPPARD, Edward

 

~1570-1619

 

bef 1615

UNKNOWN

SHEPPARD, Edward

 

Aft 1616-~1680

Edward SHEPPARD & UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Edward

 

Aft 1681-1708

Edward SHEPPARD & Hannah RUNDELL

 

Sarah UNKNOWN

SHEPPARD, Edward

 

Aft 1741-1808

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

aft 1756

Elizabeth HARMER

Aft 1759: inherited west side of High St except

SHEPPARD, Edward

Maltster

Aft 1649-1686

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

aft 1679

Hannah RUNDELL

Aft 1675: leasehold of 13 Catherine Hill passed to him

SHEPPARD, Eleanor

 

Aft 1732-1770

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

aft 1747

Timothy LACEY

Aft 1750: inherited best feather bed and bed curtains from grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD

SHEPPARD, Elizabeth

 

Aft 1752-1753

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

 

 

SHEPPARD, Frances

 

bef 1703-

Benjamin SHEPPARD & Sarah UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, George

 

 

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (1800 no) 8 Wine St (replaced by Sheppards Barton schoolroom in 1852); rated for it in 1803

SHEPPARD, Hannah

>

Aft 1661-1662

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Hannah

 

~1685-aft 1720

Edward SHEPPARD & Hannah RUNDELL

 

 

Aft 1686: left 200 by father Edward to be paid when she was 21, with 12 pa meanwhile. 1720: inherited 10 from brother John

SHEPPARD, Henry

 

Aft 1744-1811

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

aft 1759

Isabella WILLSONN

Aft 1759: inherited east side of High St and Nos 17-20 on west side from father. 1777: lessee of (present nos) 1/2 High St, 11/14 High St (two houses) and 19 High St, formerly leased by Mary MORGAN. Apr 1794: settlement lists leaseholders of High St.

SHEPPARD, Hester

 

-1708

Edward SHEPPARD & Sarah UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Hester

 

Aft 1647-aft 1719

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

aft 1662

MORTIMER

Aft 1720: inherited 600 from father, John

SHEPPARD, Hester

 

Aft 1715-

John SHEPPARD & Philippa HUMPHREY

 

 

SHEPPARD, John

Cardboardmaker

Aft 1614-1675

Edward SHEPPARD & UNKNOWN

bef 1646

Elizabeth UNKNOWN

Aft 1650: bought freehold of Back Ground from Honor CHAMPNEYS. 1675: leased part of Back Ground for 1000 years to Quakers to build their first Meeting House in Frome; burial ground on NE, now bounded by Sheppards Barton Baptist Church: last used 1866.

SHEPPARD, John

 

Aft 1645-aft 1687

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

bef 1689

UNKNOWN

Aft 1686: joint executor and trustee of brother Edward's will. 1688: house of John and Benjamin SHEPPARD licensed for worship

SHEPPARD, John

Clothier

~1680-1720

Edward SHEPPARD & Hannah RUNDELL

Aft 1705

Philippa HUMPHREY

Abt 1706: probably lived at 13 Catherine Hill; Revd Job DAVID said later that baptists met at his house before Sheppards Barton Church was built; original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (30). 1706: granted land for Sheppards Barton Baptist Church to be built: finished in 1708. 1720: left 10 to the poor of Frome.

SHEPPARD, John

 

Aft 1692-

John SHEPPARD & UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, John

 

~1710-1795

John SHEPPARD & Philippa HUMPHREY

bef 1747

Sophie PARSONS

Aft 1740-1795: lived at 21-23 Wine St (Wine St House). 1755: inherited 7, 8 & 9 Catherine St from his father. 1755, 1777: former lessee of (present no) 17 High St, formerly leased by Thomas TITFORD. 1760: 'life', with Eleanor SHEPPARD and her son William, on lease of Catherine Hill property she occupied. 1785: employing six scriblers and five shearers.

SHEPPARD, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: co-lessee of (present nos) 24/25 High St with John SEDGEFIELD

SHEPPARD, John

of Iron Gates

Aft 1747-1806

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

aft 1762

Mary BANGER

Aft 1755: inherited 7, 8 & 9 Catherine St from his father. 1824: redeemed mortgage of his cousin Joseph. 1840: purchased the freehold of Wine St House from William H. SHEPPARD and in 1847 gave it with the buildings in the rear and 19 & 20 Wine St to Sheppards Barton Baptist Church

SHEPPARD, John

 

~1748-1791

John SHEPPARD & Sophie PARSONS

 

 

Aft 1755: 'life' on lease of 17 High St from uncle William to father John.

SHEPPARD, John

Shearman

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying (5 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 2 other males and 2 females

SHEPPARD, John

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 7 Wine St; S. THORNE rated for it in 1803

SHEPPARD, Joseph

 

Aft 1657-~1702

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

 

 

Aft 1686: joint executor and trustee of bro Edward's will

SHEPPARD, Joseph

 

Aft 1748-1749

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

 

 

SHEPPARD, Joseph

Wine merchant

~1753-1826

John SHEPPARD & Sophie PARSONS

 

 

Aft 1795: inherited father's property. 1800: lived in Wine St House; leaseholder of 21-23 Wine St; rated for it in 1803. Abt 1815: bought plot at the rear of 17 High St from the heirs of Henry SHEPPARD. Abt 1820: built stable between 1 and 2 Wine St. Bef 1826: bought land from the owners of 16 Christchurch St (Chester House) on which No 1 Wine St was later built.

SHEPPARD, Mary

 

Aft 1654-

John SHEPPARD & Elizabeth UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Mary

 

Aft 1688-~1738

John SHEPPARD & UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Sarah

 

bef 1704-1744

Benjamin SHEPPARD & Sarah UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Sarah

 

bef 1707-

Edward SHEPPARD & Sarah UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Sarah

 

-1781

John SHEPPARD & Sophie PARSONS

 

 

SHEPPARD, Sarah

 

Aft 1710-1786

John SHEPPARD & Philippa HUMPHREY

 

William KINGMAN

SHEPPARD, Sophie

 

~1746-1801

John SHEPPARD & Sophie PARSONS

Aft 1781

Daniel WAYLAND

Aft 1755: 'life' on lease of 17 High St from uncle William to father John

SHEPPARD, Thomas

 

-1622

Edward SHEPPARD & UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, Thomas

grandson of William

bef 1812-aft 1846

 

 

 

Aft 1832-47: Frome's first MP

SHEPPARD, Thomas Harmer

 

aft 1761-

Edward SHEPPARD & Elizabeth HARMER

 

 

SHEPPARD, Walter

 

Aft 1739-1810

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

 

 

Abt 1753: sent away [to Throton?] to be educated by John WILLIS

SHEPPARD, Whitmore

 

Aft 1690-1691

John SHEPPARD & UNKNOWN

 

 

SHEPPARD, William

Clothier

Aft 1709-1759

John SHEPPARD & Philippa HUMPHREY

Aft 1731

Eleanor PARSONS

Aft 1720: left 700 by father provided he convey the freehold of Sheppards Barton Church to the trustees. 1731: marriage settlement promised all properties on SE side of Wine St and Nos 5-10 on NW side to wife and eldest son. 1740: leased two plots (21-23) in Wine St to brother John. 1744: leased 7 Wine St to brother John; renewed lease in 1764. 1750: leased 2 & 3 South Parade to brother John. 1755: leased to brother John plot containing two tenements lately built by Thomas TITFORD (17 High St) adjoining plot on which Thomas LESTER had built a house

SHEPPARD, William

 

Aft 1735-1814

William SHEPPARD & Eleanor PARSONS

aft 1750

Anne HULBERT

Aft 1750: inherited mahogany bureau from grandmother Philippa SHEPPARD. Abt 1750: sent away to be educated [by John WILLIS?]; completed education at the house of Mr WORSLEY in Hertford. 1760: 'life', with mother Eleanor and uncle John SHEPPARD, on lease of Catherine Hill property she occupied. 1790: conveyed 12 Sheppards Barton to the trustees to be the manse of the Baptist Church there. 1792: shown as owner of houses in Sheppards Barton after the death of his grandmother, Eleanor SHEPPARD

SHEPPARD, William Hulbert

 

-1804

William SHEPPARD & Anne HULBERT

 

 

Aft 1815: sold 5 Wine St to William BAYNTON

SHINGLES, Samuel

Clothier

bef 1780-aft 1803

 

 

 

Bef 1800, 1804: occupant of a building on ground that had been a timber yard mentioned in 1800 grant by William SHEPPARD to his son George

SHORE, Catherine

Widow

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 male 1 other female

SILCOCK, Abraham

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: co-lessee of (present nos) 11/14 High St (two houses)

SILCOX, Abraham

Shoemaker

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 2 other males and 4 females.

SIMS, John

 

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

 

 

Aft 1814: lessee of (present nos) 1/2 and 5/6 High St

SINGER, John

Clothier

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 other male and 3 females

SINKINS, James

Draper

bef 1800-aft 1819

 

abt 1820

Jane HINE

SINKINS, Jane

 

bef 1825-1868

James & Jane SINKINS

abt 1840

Thomas GREEN

Husband Thomas GREEN was her cousin; when she died in 1868 South Parade House went to him

SMITH, Ann

 

bef 1811-aft 1830

 

 

 

Aft 1831: gave Gilbert ROTTON a mortgage on his house

SMITH, Ann

 

Abt 1799-aft 1850

Rebecca SMITH

 

 

Aft 1851: running a private school at Wine St House with her sister Elizabeth at the time of the census; aged 51, born Stourbridge WOR

SMITH, Charles

 

bef 1820-

 

 

 

Bef 1840: occupied Wine St House after the death of Joseph SHEPPARD

SMITH, Elizabeth

 

Abt 1794-aft 1850

Rebecca SMITH

 

 

Aft 1851: running a private school at Wine St House with her sister Ann at the time of the 1851 census; aged 57, born Stourbridge WOR

SMITH, John

Carpenter

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 2 females

SOMERS, George

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

SOMERS, Henry

Weaver

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying (3 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 2 other males and 3 females

SPENCER, John

Carpenter

bef 1817-aft 1836

 

 

 

Aft 1837: conveyed 7/8 South Parade by Thomas HUMPRHIES

STILE, Joseph

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 14 Wine St; Thomas BADDER rated for it in 1803

STURDE, James

Mason

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by William SHEPPARD at time of census with 2 other males and 4 females

STYLES

 

-aft 1855

Joseph M. STYLES

 

 

Aft 1855: inherited 5 South Parade on father's death

STYLES, Joseph Mayo

 

bef 1830-1855

 

 

 

Bef 1855: occupied 5 South Parade until his death, when it passed to his daughter: used as a school by Miss HEPBURN in the 1880s

TANNER, Benjamin

 

bef 1726-aft 1745

 

 

 

Aft 1746: late tenant of house on the west of 8 Catherine St. 1755: former lessee of 7 Catherine St

TEAGUE, Thomas

Tailor

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying (7 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 1 other male and 1 female; John COMBS sharing(?)

THORNE

Widow

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 10 Wine St; late A. HOUSTON rated for ho-gdn in 1803

THORNE, S.

 

bef 1783-aft 1802

 

 

 

Aft 1803: rated for (present no) 7 Wine St; John SHEPPARD leaseholder

THYNNE

of Longleat

bef 1515-aft 1534

 

 

 

Abt 1535: proprietors of the Tithing of West Woodlands after the dissolution of the monasteries

THYNNE, John

Sir, of Longleat

bef 1543-aft 1562

 

 

 

Aft 1563: having bought chantry chapel of St Catherine (including Back Ground) after the dissolution of Cirencester Abbey, sold it to Richard WEST

TIMBURY, John

 

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

 

Aft 1800: occupied 3 South Parade

TITFORD, Thomas

 

bef 1717-aft 1736

 

 

 

Aft 1737: granted lease for (17 High St) by William SHEPPARD

TOMKINS, Revd William

of Abingdon

bef 1746-aft 1800

 

Aft 1766

Ann SHEPPARD

Aft 1766: married Ann SHEPPARD and her property passed to him. 1800: sold 5-7 South Parade to Samuel HUMPRHIES

TRASKE, Robert

Yeoman

bef 1630-aft 1649

 

 

 

Aft 1650: sold Ridmore (8 ac) in Nunney to John SHEPPARD

TREASURE, John

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee of (present no) 20 High St

TUCK, Stephen

Bookseller & Printer

bef 1830-aft 1849

 

 

 

25 Dec 1850: preached the first sermon of the 'Wesleyan Free Church of Frome' on Xmas Day 1850 using the preaching room at Catherine St

UNKNOWN

Widow

bef 1755-aft 1784

 

 

ALLEN

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 2 other females

UNKNOWN

Mrs, Schoolmistress

bef 1859-aft 1878

 

Bef 1880

EDWARDS

Aft 1879:

UNKNOWN

 

bef 1810-aft 1829

 

bef 1830

JESSER

Abt 1830: occupied Gilbert ROTTON's house

UNKNOWN

Mrs, Gent [sic]

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

bef 1785

KEIVER

Aft 1785: occupying a house in High St owned by John SHEPPARD at time of census with 1 other female

UNKNOWN

Mrs

bef 1794-aft 1813

 

bef 1815

REBBECK

Aft 1814: lessee of (present no) 20 High St, formerly leased by John TREASURE and Thomas HUMPHRIES

UNKNOWN

Mrs

 

 

 

SHEPPARD

Aft 1770: rated for house in Catherine St (later site of Temperance Hall) late BUSCOMB

UNKNOWN

 

bef 1669-

 

bef 1689

John SHEPPARD

UNKNOWN

 

bef 1667

 

bef 1687

William RUNDELL

UNKNOWN

 

bef 1600-

 

bef 1615

Edward SHEPPARD

UNKNOWN

Widow

bef 1880-aft 1915

 

 

Alfred COOMBS

Aft 1900-1916: lived at Wine St House

UNKNOWN

Widow

bef 1735-aft 1776

 

 

Charles DANIEL

Aft 1755, 1777: lessee of (present no) 10 High St

UNKNOWN

Widow

bef 1715-aft 1734

 

 

DEWARS

Aft 1735: 2 & 3 South Parade leased from William SHEPPARD with John HARRIS

UNKNOWN

Widow

bef 1783-aft 1802

 

 

JESSER

Aft 1803: rated for (present no) 17 Wine St; leaseholders Richard HOLTON and George GILES in 1800

UNKNOWN

Widow

bef 1750-aft 1769

 

 

Samuel? RICHARDS

Aft 1770: rated for 'Methodist Meeting House' in Wine St

UNKNOWN, Ann

Widow

bef 1790-aft 1810

 

 

EDWARDS

Aft 1810-1811: bought freeholds of 23-25 High St from Thomas Harmer SHEPPARD

UNKNOWN, Ann

Widow

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

GODDARD

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 13 Wine St ; Moses NAIL rated for it in 1803

UNKNOWN, Elizabeth

 

bef 1631-

 

bef 1646

John SHEPPARD

UNKNOWN, Fanny

Widow

bef 1843-aft 1862

 

 

John F. ALLEN

Aft 1863: sold Catherine Hill House to John BELL. BELL and Son, photographers, still there in 1931.

UNKNOWN, Hannah

Widow

bef 1780-aft 1799

 

 

FRY

Aft 1800: leaseholder of (present no) 16 Wine St; rated for it in 1803

UNKNOWN, Honor

Widow

bef 1630-aft 1649

 

 

CHAMPNEYS

Aft 1650: sold freehold of Back Ground to John SHEPPARD

UNKNOWN, Jane

 

 

 

 

Henry FOOT

Aft 1768: lessee with her husband of of 8 Catherine St

UNKNOWN, Jane

 

bef 1696-aft 1715

 

 

John ARNELL

Aft 1716: 'life' on lease of 2 & 3 South Parade.

UNKNOWN, Margaret

Widow

bef 1726-aft 1754

 

 

GOULD

Aft 1746: leased plot with 17ft frontal (8 Catherine St) from William SHEPPARD. 1755: lessee of 8 Catherine St, formerly held by Wm REEVES

UNKNOWN, Mary

 

bef 1763-aft 1782

 

bef 1784

MORGAN

Aft 1783: mentioned as companion in diary of Susan BUNN

UNKNOWN, Mary

Widow

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

HUMPHRIES

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 male 2 other females

UNKNOWN, Mary

Widow

bef 1715-aft 1750

 

 

Richard BUSCOMBE

Aft 1735: lived in Catherine St property after the death of her husband. 1751: mentioned in lease for 10 Wine St.

UNKNOWN, Rebecca

Widow

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

COOK

Aft 1785: occupied house in South Parade with 1 other female

UNKNOWN, Rebecca

Widow

Abt 1768-aft 1850

 

 

SMITH

Aft 1851: living at Wine St House with daughters Ann and Elizabeth at the 1851 census; aged 83, born Stourbridge WOR

UNKNOWN, Sarah

 

bef 1700-

 

 

Benjamin SHEPPARD

UNKNOWN, Sarah

 

bef 1692-aft 1707

 

 

Edward SHEPPARD

VELTOM

 

bef 1862-aft 1881

 

 

 

Aft 1882: occupier of 15(?) Sheppards Barton

WASON, Joseph

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: lessee with John GEORGE of house in Catherine St, later site of Temperance Hall, formerly leased to Richard BUSCOMBE

WATTS, William

Wiredrawer

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (3 4s 6d)

WAYLAND, Daniel

 

bef 1766

 

Aft 1781

Sophie SHEPPARD

WAYLAND, Revd Daniel Sheppard

Minister

aft 1780-aft 1834

Daniel WAYLAND & Sophie SHEPPARD

 

 

Abt 1800: Rector of Bassingham LIN. 1823: took over property of Joseph SHEPPARD his uncle on trust to pay off his debts. 1835: conveyed ground on which No 1 Wine St was built to Thomas MILLARD: land part of the garden of 16 Christchurch St (Chester House)

WEST, Charles

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

WEST, Richard

 

bef 1586-aft 1605

 

 

 

Aft 1606: sold most of chantry lands to John YERBURY. Aft 1605: bought Back Ground from Sir John THYNNE.

WEST, Richard

Jr(?)

bef 1630-

 

 

 

Bef 1650: sold Back Ground to the CHAMPNEYS

WEST, Roger

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: occupied 5 South Parade

WEST, Thomas

 

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Aft 1706: occupied Wine St House when John SHEPPARD granted a plot on Back Ground for the Baptist church. 1706, 1727: occupant of Wine St House in 1706; rated for it as late as 1727

WEST, Thomas

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

WHEELER, Robert Moon

 

bef 1862-aft 1881

 

 

 

Aft 1882: tenant of 6 South Parade: bought it after the death of Thomas GREEN

WHEREAT, Robert

Labourer

bef 1765-aft 1784

 

 

 

Aft 1785: occupying (2 South Parade) in Sheppards Barton at time of census with 1 other male and 2 females

WHITCHURCH

 

bef 1692-aft 1711

William WHITCHURCH

 

John HELLIER

Aft 1712: sold land off Badcox Lane (present Catherine St) to Henry ALLEN, dyer

WHITCHURCH

 

bef 1695-aft 1714

 

 

 

Abt 1715: family built 3 Catherine Hill (Catherine Hill House) on the site of an earlier building

WHITCHURCH, Elizabeth

 

-abt 1730

George & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH

 

 

Abt 1730: died unmarried

WHITCHURCH, George

 

Aft 1729-abt 1805

George & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH

 

 

Aft 1755: married Ann WICKHAM ; no children; Thomas NAPPER, his exr, sold Catherine Hill House to William BAYNTON, grocer

WHITCHURCH, George

Gentleman

bef 1692-1755

 

Aft 1721

Elizabeth DIRDO

Aft 1712: his 'capital messuage and land' mentioned in the conveyance of Badcox Lane Baptist Church. 1721: distant cousin of William WHITCHURCH; marriage settlement mentioned in the deeds of Catherine Hill House. 4 children. 1727: rated for 'part of HELLIARS at Badcox'; bought it from them in early 1700s?

WHITCHURCH, Jane

 

Aft 1729-1730

George & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH

 

 

WHITCHURCH, Jonathan

Mercer

bef 1686-aft 1705

 

 

 

Abt 1706: original subscriber for building of Sheppards Barton Baptist Church (60)

WHITCHURCH, Mary

 

bef 1670-aft 1711

William WHITCHURCH

bef 1700

John HELLIER

Aft 1690: inherited land NE of Mr BULL's orchard lately bought by her father from John YERBURY. Abt 1700: sold land on which two C16 cottages stood and Badcox Lane Church to John ALLEN. 1701: mortgaged the site on which Badcox Lane Church was later built for 200. 1707: sold orchard of the house which is now the Sun Inn on which High St was developed to Thomas CORNWALL, Clothier. 1712: widow

WHITCHURCH, Revd Samuel

Minister

Aft 1727-aft 1754

George & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH

 

 

Aft 1755: rated for 3 Catherine St, WHITCHURCH freehold; graduated from Queen's College, Oxford; inherited Catherine Hill House on his father's death in 1755; died unmarried. Elder s/o George & Elizabeth

WHITCHURCH, William

 

bef 1665-aft 1689

 

 

 

Abt 1685: bought land NE of Mr BULL's orchard from John YERBURY. 1690: bequeathed land NE of Mr BULL's orchard lately bought from John YERBURY to his daughter Mary

WHITE, Charles

 

bef 1823-aft 1842

 

 

 

Aft 1843: bought cottages built at the rear of 7 Catherine St as part of Robert BUTCHER's estate

WHITING, Joseph

Mason

bef 1735-

 

 

 

Aft 1755: former lessee of (present no) 26/27 High St

WHITING, Stephen

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

WHITING, Thomas

 

bef 1742-aft 1761

 

 

 

Aft 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

WHITTOCK, William

 

 

 

 

 

Aft 1697: last surviving trustee of Friends' Meeting House

WICKHAM, Ann

 

bef 1740-1783

 

Aft 1755

George WHITCHURCH

Aft 1783: no children

WILLIS, John

 

bef 1730-aft 1749

 

 

 

Abt 1750: responsible for early education of Walter and ?William SHEPPARD

WILLMOTT, Cuthbert

 

bef 1735-aft 1754

 

 

 

Aft 1755: leased property from Lord CORK on Catherine Hill adjacent to one leased by John HALLIDAY

WILLSONN, Isabella

 

-aft 1759

 

aft 1759

Henry SHEPPARD

WILTON, John

 

bef 1690-aft 1709

 

 

 

Aft 1710: sold 'Dunsmore', 4 ac. plot at Critchill, to John SHEPPARD

WORSLEY, Mr

of Hertford

bef 1730-aft 1749

 

 

 

Abt 1750: responsible for later education of Walter and William SHEPPARD

WRIGHT, David

Relieving Officer for Frome

bef 1820-aft 1839

 

 

 

Bef 1840: occupied Wine St House after the death of Joseph SHEPPARD

WYNDHAM, Thomas

 

bef 1630-aft 1649

 

 

 

Aft 1650: sold Dunsmore (10 ac) to John SHEPPARD

YERBURY, Richard

 

bef 1731-aft 1761

 

 

 

Bef 1751: leased 8 & 9 Wine St (then one house) from William SHEPPARD. 1762: tenant in Back Ground (Wine St)

YOUNG, Barnet

Mason

 

 

 

 

Aft 1816: leased (?) 13/14 High St from two of Henry SHEPPARD's three children for a year

YOUNG, Richard

 

 

 

 

 

Aft 1845: original Sun Inn demolished for schoolroom to be built; Richard bought part of site and property on the west side where present inn was built